The Australian Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs now accepts Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), Pearson Test of English (PTE), Cambridge English: Advanced (Certificate in Advanced English) (CAE) and Occupational English Test (OET) as alternative English language tests. 

Australian education institutions can only accept students with an appropriate level of English proficiency. Institutions set their own English language requirements and may have different English langugage entry levels for the proposed level of course than those required for a student visa. You should check the entry requirements with your proposed institution.

As per Department of Home Affairs (DHA), one must provide evidence of English language skills with visa application, if required. 

English language evidence exemptions 

You are not required to provide English language evidence if you meet any one of the following criteria.