F-1 (Student Visa)
The F-1 visa is for full-time students enrolled in an academic or language program. F-1 students may stay in the US for the full length of their academic program plus 60 days. F-1 students must maintain a full-time course load and complete their studies by the expiration date listed on the I-20 form.
Visa Application Procedure
All nonimmigrant visa applicants (this includes students) must pay the Application Fee and VFS Service Charge at a designated branch of HDFC bank before applying for a visa. When going to HDFC Bank, please carry with you a photocopy of the 1st page of the applicants passport.
You will now be required to schedule an appointment with the US Consulate in India at Mumbai. This can be done online on the usa vfs website, using the barcode number from your HDFC Bank Fee Receipt.
The fee receipt gets activated 2 working days from date of issue. Do not attempt to take an appointment till then.
You are then required to submit your forms with one recent photograph and documents as per the checklist to any of the application centres in Mumbai, Pune or Ahmedabad. It is recommended that you forward your documents immediately after scheduling an interview but no later than 4 days prior to the date of interview.
Report to the US Embassy or Consulate where your appointment for a visa interview is scheduled. You will need to carry the printed Appointment Letter, the Visa Application Forms, one recent photograph, the original HDFC Bank Fee Receipt with its two barcode stickers. Applications without an original HDFC Bank Receipt or with an incorrect photograph will NOT be accepted. You will also be required to carry all supporting documents (in original).
If you are issued a visa, your passport will be returned to you via courier. Optionally, you may collect it across the counter.
- Valid Passport: You are recommended to have passport valid for at least six months beyond your interview date
- One photograph as per specification
- Visa Application Fee: This fee is payable in cash or by DD in the name of US Embassy - Visa Fees. DDs issued by cooperative banks are not accepted
- VFS & Bank Service Charge: This fee is payable in cash or by DD in the name of HDFC Bank a/c VFS. DDs issued by cooperative banks are not accepted
- Original signed Barcode form of DS-160
- Valid HDFC Bank visa fee receipt and interview appointment letter
- SEVIS generated Form I-20 in original, approved and signed by the University authority
- Proof of payment of SEVIS Fee Receipt I-901, if applicable
- Evidence of Financial Resources: Proof of liquid assets sufficient to pay for the entire first year of education and living expenses as well as proof of readily available funds to cover the remaining year(s) of studies
- Original degree certificates along with mark sheets
- Original Bachelor degree transcripts or high school diploma along with mark sheets from previous institutions attended
- Relevant Test Scores: e.g. TOEFL and SAT, GRE, GMAT or LSAT
When to Apply
You are encouraged to apply for your non-immigrant student visa at the earliest. To ensure you get an early and timely date you may apply at anytime, however a student visa may be issued no more than 120 days prior to the start date mentioned on your I-20.